F4S: Where do you put your confidence and why?

Friday, September 18, 2015

Where do you put your confidence and why?

My flesh wants people to think that I’m more spiritual than I really am, that I fast more, that I pray more, that I selflessly serve others more, that I study the Bible more, that I witness more, and properly live it much better than I really do. 

I fail especially with my attitude more often than I like to admit. Been doin' better than I did in my BC days, but still have far to go. 


Why do something really dumb and go put my confidence in my flesh? In fact, I clearly remember that every single time when I've been tempted to sin against my awesome God, my fleshly nature has actually been for me doing that. It prompts me and yells: Yeah Kurt, Way! Go drink like a parched gold fish, and party like a more wild than uber-wild animal. Get blasted drunk cuz you know the crowd will cheer and love you for it. Go for it, dude! (Fortunately. God has filled me, helped me and I haven't had a drink since 1977. Thanks Lord! Don't even need it.)

My human spirit has been made alive--it's encouraged by the Spirit, the word, prayer time, and Christians. But my flesh is encouraged by this whacked world system and is often wrong, and that’s why I need to say no to and deny my flesh...and walk in the spirit moment by moment because He helps me to be honest. I’m nothing and can do nothing really noble without him. It’s too easy to have mixed motives; to put my confidence in my own mind or abilities. 

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him." Jeremiah 17:7

Weren’t the religious Pharisees and Sadducees of old all about show, trying to get people to think they were better than they were? Sure. Sinners, hypocrites, twisted posers minus humility, honesty and true repenting. They do needed to.. like we all do. 

They lacked power, discernment, insight, strength and were so jealous, position seeking, murderous, self promoting, competitive ..in a bad sorta way, and so very envious of Jesus who exhibited real strength in every area. The religious self exalting devil and his creepy rebellious minions are real and it’s their deceiving and our buying it, along with our sinning that keeps people like you and me out of heaven. 

They want us to become like and have the same destiny as them. Sadly it’s so easy for me to be like them, but God’s never been religious for even one day and He can help me live free from that weirdness. I am prone to think that I am wiser than I really am, stronger than I really am, more spiritual and more able than I really am. 

That’s why it’s so easy for me to put confidence in my own flesh. Such a bad thing.. if I allow it. Don't ever want to allow that in my life. Been there, done that. Crash.
   

I so need the Holy Spirit to help me think, love, be, do, say and witness as he would have me to because I have so many friends and still don’t know Jesus in a personal friendship sorta way.

Are we to primarily put our confidence in our education, bank account, fleshly abilities, or have confidence in anything really.. apart from the Lord. The Bible says...

In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. Proverbs 14:26
For not in my bow do I trust, nor can my sword save me. Psalms 44:6
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding. Proverbs 14:6
I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear. Galatians 5:10
Is it really the time for self-confidence, pride, presumption, boasting in the flesh, dependence on the strength of self or strength of other people? No. We each need Jesus more than we know. Lean on Him. Put your confidence in Him. 
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6
For the Lord will be your strength today as you call on Him; as you look to and lean on Him. He'll be your rear guard, your loving Shepherd, your victory--He will fight hard for you, keep you from stumbling, or falling, or being ensnared by the enemy as you rely on Him. See Proverbs 3:26
And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 1 John 5:14
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. James 4:10
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13

Think about it... a whole lot's at stake and the time is so limited. You and I have friends we really care about, that we can daily pray for and help. Let Jesus live big on the inside. Let Him fill you up, totally empower you and witness through you today.  Ask Him to.  We simply share the Gospel, but leave the results up to God. We can't save anyone. Of course not everyone is going to accept it or respond to Christ's Gospel. But our task is to pray, to daily walk with Jesus the Sower of good seed, be coworkers under His Lordship, and to confidently throw Bible seeds of truth out far and wide expecting a harvest. As we exalt Jesus instead of ourselves or others.. just watch what He will do. Jesus loves and saves (SAVES in the fullest sense of that Bible term).. people.

Daily I need God to clearly reveal to me just how weak I really am, so that I can rely upon his strength, wisdom, ability, anointing.. instead of relying upon me. I can forget to inquire of Him, but it's so much better to remain confident in Him so that I don’t stumble, deny Him, or fall in sin like Peter did when he denied Christ three times. Remember how he boasted in the flesh earlier. Go read the story again. Hey, before walking right, we need to be made right inside. You and I need regeneration. We need Christ’s help; we need to be strengthened. facebook.com/shareJesus