F4S: Are Ya Single And Frustrated In This Social-Media-Crazed, Post-datin' Sorta World?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Are Ya Single And Frustrated In This Social-Media-Crazed, Post-datin' Sorta World?

 
I wonder what God feels like when we go after dumb idols? People used to worship wooden objects they made. Some still do. Jesus is God, our first-love--He deserves first place in our lives.  

Why should I give a flip about my spiritual life.. ya know, "seeking the Lord" or sharing my faith and all? Really Kurt, I mean.. if I haven't even begun to figure out my most basic love-life issues ..you know, that occupy so much of my thought life. Why should I start on other stuff now? Like on Spiritual growth stuff in the word of God. We all need to prioritize for what is best. 

First things first right?  

Are these hopes, dreams, and aspirations of mine even important to God at all?

I figure, this ain't my grandmother's life, time is marching on and how do I put it all in perspective these days?

I don't want mere friends with benefits anymore! 

I mean, when was the last time I went on a date, or have I ever been on anything like that?

So many of my friends seem to be getting tempted with the slim pickens of the world.. or falling down, but I feel frustrated! Used to simply check my email, but now there seem to be ten places I must check. I'm forced into geekville!

Ok, I've got this ex-boyfriend that keeps showing up. This is like a curve ball for me cuz aren't they supposedta like.. remain ..history? I know this guy is just wrong for me on so many levels….but hey, there is no one else showing up.

Then there's this one coworker who has kind of become a bit of an ego-booster-type of friend when I'm feelin' sort of down. Girls like me shouldn't get down, but he is becoming accustomed to joining me on lunch break and I should say something.. or nothing soon. How can I know for sure about this? I'm not sure about this guy and God's will.

Then there is this numskull-guy whose mind-set is totally on the wrong wavelength so I flat-out told him to walk south until his hat floats.

And there's this "prospect" who like.. never really turns into a real prospect because he's really skilled at "friending" all my friends and staying busy, and then being unavailable ..and just remaining impossible to figure out. 

Perhaps if I could just chill and get my ducks inline a little bit—putting off the feelings, the love life dream, the crazy hectic work chaos, the hope chest?

Maybe this is the time to start considering the whole "God-thing" with a church-search, a Bible study group, praying and all (I mean, other than desperately crying out last-minute for help before an exam when I haven't even prepared for it).

Practically speaking, what is a frustrated or confused young adult to do in this texting, social networking, post-dating kind of world? How can we bring the Lord into such a mess? Would He want to enter? Seems like all the rules have flown out the window these days.

Kurt, isn't the whole witnessing-thang naturally supposed to flow out of the strength and health and overflowing joy from having the vertical relationship right?

Dear Frustrated (even tough this isn't really a letter from a real person),

Yup!!!!!!!!!

And God does feel for all the single guys and ladies out there who are having to adjust a lot, fast! He not only has the answers for you (in his Word), but He is the Answer for you!  

Please rest assured that neither He nor His principles have changed ..even though our society's morals, values, worldview ..and even technology have. Singles are not really alone; God is there and He understands each one.

When I was single, I used to wonder why it was that some people work so hard, strive, and spend a lifetime trying to get all their whacked relationships in order on the horizontal plane, but put obtaining closeness and harmony on the vertical plane.. last?

Listen, if we get right ..by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ.. with the most important Person—our heavenly Father—then all the other relationships will fall into place. Yes, all relationships need to be prioritized, but only One should come ahead of all the others!

Doesn't the Bible encourage young and old adults, who each have a calling with these words.. "Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass" (Ps. 37:3-5, nkjv).

Well, how much do you really trust God and His faithfulness? Do you delight yourself in Him very briefly once a month or so, just so He'll give you the desires of your heart.. when He might want to give you completely new desires in your heart? What are your true motives? Are you afraid He'll make you convent or monastery material wearing a habit or collar.. if He has His way?

Fear not, God invented romance and doesn't want to do that to you ..if He's already put that "love relationship longing" in your heart. But He's an unselfishly-jealous God who won't play second fiddle behind some idol (human-love-connection, or whatever you have been tempted to put before Him). I've found Him to be worth my time but pretty ruthless in conforming me into Christ's image. It isn't always comfortable to have Jesus as Lord (my boss). 

Listen, if you are a married person who has made your spouse or kids your personal idol ahead of your relationship with God, then stop it? The Bible verses apply to you as well.  

I like how the Message challenges all of us saying, "If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think He'll attend to you, take pride in you, do His best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how He works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met" (Matt. 6:30-33).

One translation commands, "Seek first God's Kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well" (ncv). And what "first" actually means in the original language here is: first.

Smile! Sure, why do so many of us complicate things?

"God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces." ~Anon

"The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit." ~Psalm 34:18

Listen single friend, don't seek a wife, a husband, a lover, a soul-mate, a sex-life outside of marriage. Outside of the will of God for you. Please don't.. and don't worry about all that stuff! God has a plan for your future and his timing is perfect. Either He's sufficient or He ain't, but I'm telling you He is.

Don't go after a career or a house or other stuff first. Worshipping Jesus on His terms must come first! Seek Him daily like you would for treasure ..cuz He is exactly that!

The Lord really wants to bless you more than you want to be blessed, but He also wants to get you ready to be a real blessing to others who don't even know His best Blessing …..of enjoying a right relationship with God. Salvation is His greatest miracle! Too much is at sake for you, for your family, and for your peers. Why fret or stay all distracted by much lesser things when cooperation (with Him) in world-changing is so much better and exhilarating?

We live in a culture where one of the hardest things is to get up a little early, block out some time alone and to think deeply on truth—to meditate upon (or to memorize verses in) the Word. Why is getting real honest in prayer with your bestest-Friend ..or lifting up another friend in intercession so hard these days? I guess we have gobs more options.

Why is it so easy to put relationship-cultivation with Christ at the end of the relational line—on the bottom of the to-do-list? Please don't let any of the devil's imps or your fleshly nature or TV or the world's system or a ringing phone ..rudely shove Jesus Christ out of the picture ..especially when He alone is your ultimate Gain.. when He is your first-love and alone can satisfy the deepest longings of your romantic heart? Put Him first—issue settled!