F4S: Playin' Favorites Hurt's God's Favorites

Monday, January 18, 2010

Playin' Favorites Hurt's God's Favorites


Did you know that all of God's kids are God's favorites? Yup! Question for ya: Ever seen a small family business. What did you think? I like a lot of them. Gotta friend who has come to me a couple times for prayer about his constant concerns for his apparent-sick-church a couple hours south of Dallas ..where an inordinate amount of families and leaders keep bailing-out the back revolving door. 

He said these people never return again and that hurts him as a teacher there, because the seemingly PC but hard-headed lead pastor allegedly doesn't take time etc.. for the common folk there, but for years now has only built everything to suit and serve his own incompetent family members (who are in the top positions).

I guess my friend shared this with me because I'm totally outside the situation and don't even know the name of his church. 

Anyways, I was told that his lead pastor has been respectfully approached one-on-one several times (even by the one telling me this), where the leaders have asked the senior pastor why it's only family members who become elders, board members or paid staff at this church (..again, I've never been there, but I hear that in some sheep-sheds at times a carnal-half-baked family member becomes the only retirement plan there is for preachin' pop. Sociologically, this sounds like the start of a creepy cult huh).

Hey, I'm no one of significance here but I did have some other initial thoughts. A.) OK, my praying friend (I'll call him Joe) said he first went one-on-one to respectfully discuss this issue with the pastor, and he still really loves the man and this church.. even though I think he's probably stayed with this sicko-congregation too many years. I also thought about Matthew 18:15,and 1 Timothy 5:19) as well as.. B.) My friend doesn't seek to harm or split this flock. It reminds me of a better Leader: C. Jesus the Chief Shepherd, who took the time for the lowly and unknown people. He was such a good Example—"no respecter of persons" in that He didn't play favorites with certain people in His fold over others. 


"'Teacher,' [Jesus] these men said, 'we know how honest you are. You are impartial and don't play favorites. You sincerely teach the ways of God.." ~Mk. 12:14, nlt 


"..Teacher [Jesus Christ], we know how honest You are. You teach about the way of God regardless of the consequences. You are impartial and don't play favorites." ~ Matt. 22:16, nlt

New fisher (whoever you are): remember no local church is perfect—flawed people are a part of churches—but God does expect us to be active and supportive in a healthy Bible teaching church that embraces Essential Christian doctrine and has spiritually sound leaders in it. World missions, our biblical unity, and the not-yet caught who are swimming in local fishing holes, ponds, lakes, seas ..are still on His mind.


Got a free moment to read the whole entry?

Need a sound church and real friends? 
Got church hurt? Please don't give up on Jesus or His Body!