F4S: Not Greater, Not Entitled To, Nor More Important

Monday, May 11, 2009

Not Greater, Not Entitled To, Nor More Important

Hope you are doing VERY WELL and had a great mother's day, moms. You too dad and kids. Liney was pleased to see one of our boys who was in town and able to drop by. The following Fisher-Devo is dealing with godly character, the right attitude, and the proper focus. God's Word can help us all in these areas.

It was not written to put anyone down or purposely offend people or even make anyone feel bad per se. If the Holy Spirit makes someone uncomfortable enough to change, then that is between them and the Spirit. Let me know and I will be glad to pray for you though.

I was recently told that there are more people living in the Western parts of the world today harboring a sense of entitlement ..like never before in all of history. I think this could be true and I wonder how so many aquired such a puffed-up me-first attitude. Perhaps you've encountered people where you live who lack basic common courtesy and even minimal concern about their neighbors in need? Do you live around individuals who constantly fail to show their elders, their teachers, their parents, the police etc.. respect?

Where did all this weirdness come from and shouldn't it be addressed? Did this simply come from all the first-world-affluenza or the neglect when mom and dad were out working all the time--to busy keeping up with the Jones to train their children in God's precepts? I don't know for sure where it came from, but I do know that I personally have been blessed beyond belief with tools and toys in my life time ..blessed in so many ways and know the dangers that can come from being rich. Hey the poorest of the poor are still richer here in the States than the rich in many developing nations. So I just quickly jotted down some thoughts that I would like to hear again.. especially if I were to become consumed by self.

Here are some straightforward verses and thoughts that remind me about what is truely important and that help me gain the proper perspective. Like with a lot of my stuff from the cuff, this comes with a if-the-shoe-fits-wear-it kind of application. A lot of the truth that I rehearse here is just good a warning for me, as well.

YOU AND I ARE NOT GREATER

"How true it is that a servant is not greater than the Master. Nor are messengers more important than the one who sends them." ~John 13:16, nlt

Do you see yourself as more important, as greater, or as better? How come? Is this due to some academic, career, or sports achievements that you’ve worked hard to gain?

Congrats on achieving, but who gave you the ability to achieve the things that you have achieved?

Some believers and unbelievers do see themselves as more important ya know, but we are all called to submit to Christ (the Great One's Authority) and that's not for arrogant people to do. Admittedly, some Christians are literally greater than other people due to their obedience to the Word, but they are never more than or near equal to God's Greatness..DUH! We are mandated to be authentically humble in Him as servants who faithfully serve their Lord and others (Phl. 2:3). "Kurt, who do you think you are to talk like this?" Something ought to be said about hubris by someone. And if you won't.. OK, I will.

Believer, where are you at today? I indeed hope that you feel good, but do you feel good about yourself like you are all that and a bag of chips? Christians are not better than other people, they are simply better off, so please.. let's not speak down our noses at anyone. That only repells people.

None of us really have anything to be proud about when you think about it. To be frank, my fleshly nature tells me otherwise and it always protests against any type of servanthood proposed, or against any humbling of self that's considered. I've got to go against my fleshly nature or I will take a stride from my Master's side!

Face it, we live in a sin-cursed fallen world. Look around and try to tell me otherwise. Everyday puffed-up sinful men who live like hell ..spend gobs of money to marry selfish sinful women (often trying two or three times with different ones) and then incredibly they both always hope to enjoy a heavenly home filled with love, harmony, and peace. Imagine that! Man, are they ever surprised after the honeymoon! I wish them God's best--I never want to be hard-core-pessimistic. Why be a negative thinker?

Every election sinner-citizens vote for sinner-leaders and then all involved hope to live in a sin-less nation where everything always goes perfectly. There are a lot of problems brought on by us humans, that can be fixed. But our leaders (at least in the past few decades) tend not to hear real well and sometimes things get even worse and then sinners end up living in something like an abomination rather than in some Obamatopia (but that political message is for another time..maybe).

You’d think we’d all learn eventually that seeking to be served rather than to serve—spawned by pride, rebellious-independence, self-will and lust never better anything for us.

Yeah, it often doesn’t feel good to be patient though when others are forcing themselves ahead of people.. or to be deferring, or to be respectful ..when that other person is acting like a royal jerk, or to be humble when so many are in it for a major power-grab!


Hey, if He can selflessly serve people and properly rep the Father, why can’t we ignore our old nature, feelings, ego and do the same?

Does that mean that we are to be like doormats who keep supporting and covering for hurtful fools who insist upon their own way at any price? No, but you and I are called to prayerfully get involved with open willing sinners; to roll up our sleeves and serve Christ by meeting real needs that these people have. Christ who is greater than all, exampled this lowly practical lifestyle (Jn. 13:4-5) and He has literally made us free to do as He did (Gal. 5:13)! He can empower you today!

Hey, it would be such a good thing to remind ourselves from time to time of Who we serve.. and also never forget who we are (and aren't). You and I are less important servants! He is the Important One.

Who are we really? Believer, you and I are…

..prisoners totally delivered, (Num. 14:13), loved-sinners saved and free, (1 Jn. 4:16, Jn. 8:36), gentle blood-bought saints, (Phil. 4:5), an escaped remnant that’s glory-bound (Ezra 9:15).. not our own—you and I belong to Jesus Christ (See 1 Cor. 6:20, 1 Cor. 7:23), we are weak, but we're in Him Who is stronger than all (2 Cor. 12:9, nkjv).

Yup, Christ is the greater One is worthy of all the praise, credit and glory!

Not unto us, O Lord,...but to Your name give glory, because of Your mercy, because of Your truth. —Psalm 115:1

Not I, but Christ, be honored, loved, exalted; not I, but Christ, be seen, be known, be heard; not I, but Christ, in every look and action; not I, but Christ, in every thought and word. —Whiddington

We tend to think way too much of ourselves and think way too little of the Lord!

Why be one to make an idol of yourself, or serve some other lame idol? Why be one to dash for the best seat at the dinner when it might not have your name tag placed on it? Let those in the world push, shove, grab, punch, pander and manipulate. Our lives no longer are to be lived “me-first” or “me ahead of the others” according to what we want (Listen up, Kurt)! Our lives are to be a living sacrifice on God's altar and for Gods' glory, according to what He has said. We are to be His faithful servants obedient day in and day out. Don’t you know that there is healing and restoration in obedience? Some of us self-professing Christians need to do something new and try it out for a change. Will you obey Him?

If you know your place, have you accepted it yet?

Read More..


Fish4Souls.org