You know how the Bible says, “Jesus called out to them, ‘Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!’” (Matt.4:19). Maybe at this point.. like that seasoned fisher of old, the Apostle Pete, you kinda feel like a failure in life, or worthless, or pretty insignificant at times? Well i’m here to remind you that God loves you and has a purpose for your life. He gave you talents to use as bait if ya will, and you can become a vital part of God's fishing plan so to speak! Jesus Christ is so there for you, yes, to encourage you to freely receive what you need most.. to grab a pole, a net, some effective proverbial worms. Yup, the right bait for fishin' perhaps. to righteously go catch em with. Bait that they like and really.. is good. Christ was lifted up on a Cross, came out of that dark hole alive, and now God draws people to Himself...yet we work with the Chief to net people ..and for their own benefit. Remember how He encouraged Simon when He said, “Don't be afraid! From now on you'll be fishing for people!" (Lk. 5:10).
Have you made the thrilling discovery yet, that second only to experiencing the blessing, the righteous fun if ya will, the great privilege and glory of worshiping the Lord in Spirit and in Truth, comes the tremendous J-O-Y of leading another person to Christ? Let's do this!
Why? Well, at this point there are still 6.8 million people still waiting to simply hear the name Jesus. He's their hope--He's our living hope as well. Yup, that's "missions" and Christ calls all believers to be a part of this effort. He calls us to go fish for souls that He loves, but not just to stop there.
Yes, He told us to go tell.. that's the Great Commission. Imperative. But after we obey with that.. after He uses a Christian to reel in, to rescue, to actually save a person who was once dead inside and lost.. we Christians can then be used of God to help that new baby Christian go on with Christ to spiritual maturity in connection with a Bible teaching local church. That's also so important and it's exciting to be involved with. I've covered this follow up process at length before, but hear are a few simple reminders for you.
What to always keep in mind...
* Prayer for the new believer remains a vital part of follow-up ministry.
* God, not any of us Christians, can save or produce growth in the life of another person. Duh.
* God changes our desires after then second birth. He gives new Christians the desire and the ability to live in a way that pleases Him. We start to loathe what we used to love [sin, personal destruction], and start to love what we used to loathe [church fellowship, pure Bible truth, prayer, serving and aiding others] (Philippians 2:13).
* No amount of time, effort, or anything that we can do will ensure that new believers will go all the way with Jesus, I mean on to spiritual maturity in Him.
* Be confident that in Christ's new and living way, and in His time, He will do what He promises to do.. accomplishing what He has begun in each believer. He's the Author and Finisher of our faith. We all need to keep on growing in the Word of God. (Philippians 1:6).
* God uses various Scriptures inside our minds, uses our inner conscience [and His Holy Spirit now lives inside our once dead human spirit], and uses genuine instead of religious friendships to prompt us, and uses other means like trials to bring about spiritual growth in a Christian's life. His agape love and truth draws us closer. That's what His sanctification process is all about.
* He's always used people for this purpose, uses events, His Word as we wisely apply it, and uses daily circumstances to help or cause the willing to grow up.
* He deals with each of us in a gentle very unique way, because He made each of us unique.
* Ultimately God our loving Father is responsible for saving us and for spiritually bringing about growth in us. We believers follow Jesus' clear commands when involved in follow up ministry, and then we of course leave the results to Him. Doin' my best (working here), I commit the rest. Follow up is fun. Do you now need some discipleship or follow-up ministry?
* God respects our choices in the sense that He won't pressure any us to do His will. As a real Gentleman, Christ allows every person to respond differently when hearing His Gospel and when they respond to all His other Bible Scriptures for maturation. (Mark 4:3-9; 14-20).
"What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you can to believe – as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building." ~ Paul, 1 Corinthians 3:5-9
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6
"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose." Philippians 2:13, Facebook.com/shareJesus