F4S: A Burning Fire... Huh?

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Burning Fire... Huh?

"Fire" is kinda interesting to study about - both natural and supernatural ones! 

What do you know about fire? Any firefighters out there who would dare to comment? I like to see what God has to say about fire. He, Himself is indeed the most winsome of personalities, but also One aflame in His fierce and holy righteousness. This is why we fear and respect Him. The fright is all gone - absolutely - but there is an awe that we feel towards Him. I so look forward to serving and learning more about His blazing character for all eternity!    

Don't you? The Bible says, "Let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire" (Heb. 12:28-29).

A firestorm was raging out west of Fort Worth near Possum Kingdom Lake a few months ago. The whole area was filled with smoke in the air.

So many acres and properties were sadly destroyed. Many cowboys and others feared that this bushfire would prove to be Texas' worst ever. And I believe it was the worst in many decades. Interesting to see how Government for political reasons wouldn't help the people afterwards.

Fanned by strong winds, a fairly high temperatures, and low humidity, the fire jumped across roads and creeks, consuming everything in its path.

It made me think about the destructive power of that kind of inferno in regards to speech. I gain a better understanding of God's future judgment on this earth when I consider it and I think I'd rather judge myself right now instead. If we believers do that judging of self and repent where we need to, then God won't have to. If unbelievers properly judge themselves and turn to Jesus then they also won't be judged by God later.  

"Our God is a consuming fire and will destroy earth's temporal things; He seeks to purify our lives for service to the King of kings." ~ David DeHaan

Taking a few minutes today (not taking long for an exhaustive glance..) to look again at this term "fire" in the Bible. You know.. seems like all the effective soul-winners that I've ever known over the years have had fire in their hearts and in their eyes if you will. They got it from spending time with the consuming fire – God.

They indeed loved Jesus far more than ministry and all else! It was so convicting just to be around em, because you would hear the Scriptures come out of their mouths with power ..in such a fitting, appropriate way. It wasn't ever accusatory or talking down to. But they were men and women of earnest prayer.    

False Myth Number One: The Fire of God makes a person crazy, out of control, pushy, herky-jerky and religiously strange. Q. Do you ever see God's saints in the Bible get loopy and weird when they become more in love with Jesus Christ? I don't!

I see courageous men and women filled with the Spirit, but they were tactful. And sinners like to hang out with em even though sinners couldn't pull em back into a life of sin. We must never let that happen!

You must read about Jeremiah.. "Then I said, "I will not make mention of Him, nor speak anymore in His Name." But His Word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, and I could not" (Jer. 20:9, nkjv). Do you ever feel like that after sharp mocking, mean jeering, or cruel persecution? I've had people on the streets in other lands throw things at me or cuss me out when I privately and respectfully told em, "Jesus Christ loves you", but I don't believe that I've ever been persecuted yet.

Humm.. different types of fire to see in this Book, but I personally opt for the fire of holy passion for Christ, instead of the fires of judgment from Christ. We all can choose to draw closer to Him today. Why don't we confidently ask for this fiery world-changing zeal?

Here are some more verses to pray over and meditate upon.  

Mo saw His fire, "And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush" (Exd. 3:2). Get a Strong's concordance out and see what you can find on fire! 

Of Christ John clearly writes, "His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire" (Rev. 1:14).

And...  "His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself" (Rev. 19:12).

"O Thou who camest from above, the pure celestial fire to impart
kindle a flame of sacred love upon the mean altar of my heart.
There let it for thy glory burn with inextinguishable blaze,
and trembling to its source return, in humble prayer and fervent praise.
Jesus, confirm my heart's desire to work and speak and think for thee;
still let me guard the holy fire, and still stir up thy gift in me.
Ready for all thy perfect will, my acts of faith and love repeat,
till death thy endless mercies seal, and make my sacrifice complete." ~ Charles Wesley

Of course none of us can make ourselves fiery in spreading the Gospel, but yes, God can.. "Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of fire" (Ps. 104:4).

Be encouraged to appropriate His passion through prayer! Then boldly go tell people about our sinless, loving Christ, the only God man sent from above. Brag on Him more than everything and everyone. Speak with fervor and gratitude of His death on the cross, and about His resurrection from the grave. The real Gospel includes these historic events, but a false Gospel will not!

I'm looking at and talkin' about a good kinda fire that moves the believer to praise, to full-on worship of Christ, to love.. yes, so much so that it compels us to go explain things clear as well as proclaim the Good News about Jesus to others. And I say do this type of fishin' like Christ did!  

Know the Message and make it known ..after you know Him. Don't mess up the facts. Don't mix truth with religious lies! Gotta be cautiously accurate to live and speak right in witnessing by God's Spirit ..so that we represent Him well before others!

One tiny spark flung out.. it'll make a huge fire that destroys! James described this damage that can happen by our reckless, hateful, raunchy, or careless words. "See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity.. It defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell" (See 3:5-6). God urges all of us never to underestimate the destructive potential of what we say.

He also wants us to be red hot and know how His fiery Word won't return void.

Jesus said, "So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth" (Rev. 3:16). Never make him puke. Christ still prefers all of His followers to be blazing hot over icy cold or tepidly warm.. for a good reason! I wanna be red hot and detour people away from Hell towards Christ.

"Be fervent in spirit." ~ Paul, Romans 12:11

What motivates me to be on-fire for the Lord? I think about the rich man who couldn't (and still can't) reverse things regarding his eternal location.. "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'" (Lk. 16:24). There are so many joining him. Please warn em with me!

Read More about fiery passion for Christ and His great missionary Cause…