F4S: How Quickly Fleeting Is This Life!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How Quickly Fleeting Is This Life!

A really smart Psalmist once penned this prayer, "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are number—how fleeting my life is" (Ps. 39:4).

Not a bad request huh. Not at all lame to keep in mind if you think about it. Have you ever met anyone in our fast-paced, Western, contemporary, Hollywood-influenced-culture..where outward beauty and acceptance are so rad-important today.. who really didn't have any desire to gain a clue about prolonging their youth or their life?

Longer with more pleasure involved ..even biggy-sized if you will.. with anything these days, that's what always seems to be considered better to many people now. But that's not necessarily the case every time.

Don't get me wrong, I would never encourage anyone to think about shortening the gift of their life. No way. I'm not saying that shorter is always better either.

What I am saying is this.. I used to think that as an American I had a right to long life, health, and happiness, but now I realize that I don't have that right. In fact it would be pride for me to think these were due me.

Thank God for health today. I am so grateful!

But listen; here is what God wants you and me to understand. He alone has an appointed day for your entry into this life and your exit out of this life—yes, your birth and your death. Yikes, who even wants to think about that right now ..mid-stream?

"Given another shot at life, I would seize every minute of it.. look at it and really see it.. try it on.. live it.. exhaust it.. and never give that minute back until there was nothing left of it." ~ Erma Bombeck

"The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration but its donation." ~ Corrie ten Boom

"Only one life to live, which will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." 
~ Author Unknown

I personally don't desire a short life, but I would much rather live a shorter full and purposeful life that actually glorified the God that made me, than a longer life minus knowing my wonderful Lord, Jesus Christ. How about you?

I often think about a hero named, David Brainerd, who was a missionary to the American Indians in New York, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania. He was born in Connecticut in 1718, and he died of tuberculosis at the age of twenty-nine. He gave his all for serving the Lord and God did answer his prayer regarding the duration and quality of impact. Yes, David lived a full and fruitful life unto the glory of the Lord and He will now live forever! Nothing, no nothing beats that! You've gotta check out his writings sometime. David will indeed inspire you to be 100% given over to God and His worldwide evangelistic plan. You won't ever regret it! I sure don't. 

Yes, I would rather live a life in-touch upwards that helped disconnected people outwards also get in-touch. That's what I would call an exciting soul-winning life! We all can trust the Lord for this kinda lifestyle. Other than that I want to worship God and also help believers better worship and serve Him. This doesn't mean we can't enjoy the simple things of life minus singing. We can even worship God without singing to Him. But let's pray together that God will give us a heart towards Him primarily, and then towards others who also need Him today—so that our brief time here will count for eternity!

If you aren't too sure about where you stand with God right now, but you want to be sure. Then good. If you are open to hanging a 180 degree u-turn, eternal security in Jesus is available for you now ..at no extra charge or charge!