Liney and I had a great day today. Guess what.. I was so blessed to meet, Prof Howard G. Hendricks, from Dallas Theological Seminary--a real under-hero of mine. This man can teach. I've read some of his stuff. Be in a HURRY to buy his books before you buy shoes even! Anyways, I was asking him to give up some funny but true stories on one of his old students from back in the day.. Chuck Swindoll. He laughed and just said, Well we had a lot of fun together. Man, these guys are men of grace and of the Word (There doesn't seem to be too many Bible expositors like them left). They are indeed not perfect and would be the first to tell you that, but these men are not known for trafficking in trendy half-truths or fashionable lies. They want to help you (they're committed to this end).. and they know that the real battle is for you mind and where you'll spend your future permanently. What about you? Have you made reservations in advance. Please say you have (make this duty number one)! But what exactly do you traffic in? Is your truth like.. as valid and valuable as my truth ..even if they are totally opposite from each other?
Is there such a thing as error today, that when believed in, can lead a person to hell?
Are Christians supposed to be more known for all the things they vehemently oppose and loath than for what they are avidly for and love? What is the Church really to all about negativity, non-stop "possitiiiiv-ity" or what’s real from God's point of view?
I say it’s to be about its Father’s business, with others in mind. We are to be realists who care about people literally bound by lies.
Did you recognize the last time when you were duped? How about the person who deceived you, did he or she know that they were deceived themselves? Maybe they did are were totally evil. When a thief slips into your house to rip you off, do they do it during high traffic times in your living room and kitchen areas? Don’t they kinda want to get in and out quietly.. quickly, silently.. without you noticing them or that flat screen under their arm like a surfboard? That’s how the minions of the pit work—they like to kill, steal and destroy.. slow, quick.. any way they can. They even mix in half truths with lies, wrong applications, and parts of Bible verses twisted and quoted out of context. I see them give out sharp looking DVDs with pictures of an angel (i.e.,
“For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist” (2 Jn. 1:7, nkjv).
How are you practically dealing with it in advance.. when your kids are being taught misinformation at school that will not only not help them in the future, but will actually hinder them in life? Are you simply countering that by telling them sweet fairy tales when they go to bed? Are you just allowing the TV or computer games to baby-sit your children for hours, so they can get a firm grip on
Lord, grant to me a fiery zeal that blazes bright within my heart--'cause I never wanna depart! In your might, give me more light.. a burning holy passion like Yours for truth, my peeps, and all that’s right!
In a deceptive culture, a discerning, prayerful Christian’s very presence is convicting! No one in the world can ever short-circuit clean life in Jesus! An equipped Christian parent leaning on the Lord is like a strong umbrella of protection.
In a confusing age of shifting moral standards and whims, a confident Christian is like a magnate. It’s ’cause of the never changing Person living BIG on the inside!
In an angry, dark world, a joy filled Christian who loves the truth is a BRIGHT LIGHT ..so that others will be able to clearly see the Way!
“Can’t happen! Man, Christians are not supposed to be that way.. exuberant, awake, epervesant, fresh-thinking” ...say many people. Some exclaim, “They’re supposed to be morbid, sullen, harsh, lethargic, morose, depressed, light-years behind the times, intensely serious, gloomy, and hyper-pious looking down their noses at people.”
Did you know that cults, sowing the subtle seeds of real heresy, feed off complacent ho-hum churches and grow numerically from an influx of downer Christians?
Secular progressive worldlings might also expect Christians to be the inner-conviction-police ..of others, motivated to monitor “their behaviors” to help them by controlling em and manipulating via pressure and forced-guilt.
I say a real Christian must have contagious, infectious faith ..or they might not be. What do they talk about with genuine excitement? Don't tell me it's the
I know that it can be challenging to stick with the truth sometimes. But the fall-out if we don’t—the consequences of unchecked deception—man, they are beyond lethal! Make the right choice: Stick with the truth. It won’t change!
“You have exalted above all things your name and your word” (Ps. 138:2, nkv).
Some Benefits From Knowing Absolute Truth
1. It gives stability to our faith (for Christians). Minus knowing the truth ..we’ve got fickle emotions to build and go on. They go up and then down again and again, like a rollercoaster all over the place. But obeying the truth of the Word is like constructing a house on a very solid foundation. Jesus talked about such a life.. “it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Matt. 7:25-26).
2. It strengthens you through times of testing and trial. For this reason, Peter declared, “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice..” (1 Pet. 4:12-13 Please do read these verses in context to get the full-orbed picture).
3. It enables you to properly handle the Bible, so you can rightly divide the Word (see 2 Tim. 2:15).
4. It enables you to detect and confront error head-on with tact and wisdom ..in a world that is full of it. Find “out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them” (Eph. 5:10-11).
5. It allows the Christian to minister with confidence. The Bible says, “..it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to Him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to His promise with confidence” (Heb. 6:18).
6. It releases us from negative fears, confusion, chaos, weird myths and superstitions. We don’t fight for victory as much as we fight from victory (it happened on the cross), “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” (2 Cor. 10:4-5, nkjv).
“Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body” (Eph. 4:25).
* Got areas of deception in your private or public life? How about in your valuable marriage? How about in your school or work life? How about in your off duty social life or other relationships?
* What do you really need to, “put off falsehood and speak truthfully to [your] neighbor” today?
* If your existence has taken a downwards turn into a pattern of deception, idol-worship, compromise and lies, can you start the process of turning around to Him with confession, repentance, restitution and full-returning to the truth with one small step after another? You’re only an honest prayer away from God. Are you willing to contact the person you have lied to and then confess the facts as they are—the truth? Think about it.. the earthly consequences you might face here are far less serious than the long-term eternal consequences of allowing deception to go on unchecked!
Wondering about other topics, cults or aberrant Christian groups that deny the basic tenants of our faith?