F4S: Do You Get Unidentified Inner Promptings?

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Do You Get Unidentified Inner Promptings?

Get UIPs.. me?

I do sometimes, but in the Bible they're of course not called, "Unidentified Inner Promptings." That's one thing I really just love about being a Christian. I love the casual warm-hearted fellowship and friendship that I can enjoy with the Lord daily (as anyone can enjoy if they just come to Him on His terms). He still speaks to His children—how COOOOOOOL is that!

I’m so grateful for the needed inner guidance He gives me ..especially when it’s time to fish for people. I never want to flub it with such an important moment (but I never want to let those feeling hold me back from sharing).

Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand” (Jn. 10:27-28, nkjv).

But what are UIPs like? Well.. something like…


“Don't go there, don't say that, do go there now”—directives from Him. Is this like righteous extra sensory perception stuff; these U.I.P.s (unidentified inner promptings)? They're inner memos of compassion. We have “image” so to speak and animals do not (I didn’t say we are to live for our image. No; too much of that around!). But I mean we were made uniquethe animals merely have instincts. We were made in the very image of God; designed to have two-way loving, meaningful relationship with Him. WE ARE "FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE!" That means much for us too (Psalm 139:1-14). Thanks Lord!

God communicates in my resurrected living human spirit. He guides me speaking to my spirit by His Holy Spirit—my spirit is the lamp of the Lord. The Bible tells us this, “The spirit of a man is the lamp of the Lord, searching all the inner depths of his heart” (Prov. 20:27).

This kind of communication doesn't happen with our beloved pets or barnyard beasts. All these “hunches” that we feel, we can not quickly say they are coming from God per se. I don't even call them intuitions, or ESP, or instincts, or hunches.

The Bible calls this a “still small voice.”
Jesus said, “He who enters by the door is the Shepherd of the sheep. To Him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear His voice; and He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when He brings out his own sheep, He goes before them; and the sheep follow Him, for they know His voice” (Jn. 10:2-4). Today, we have many people who think they are God’s sheep if you will.. but really are not. They are instead, spiritual goats so to speak. And the Bible doesn’t say that goats (unbelievers who can really behave like goats hurting others) even hear His voice. Sin blocks the UIPs.

But believers on the other hand, if they quiet their hearts and spirit, can hear from Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen, My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him, and He will declare justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel nor cry out, nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets” (Matt. 12:18-19). Please don't harden your hearts and thus get your ears all stopped up.

But listen up.. “Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, In the day of trial in the wilderness” (Heb. 3:7-8, nkjv).

Read More